BROMARV HOMESTEAD MUSEUM, RASEBORG

How is it possible that she was so slim? This is what the visitors to the Bromarv homestead museum ask themselves when they see the dress that Venny Nordlund from Bromarv, wore when she was a courtier at the Tsar

MEIKO, KIRKKONUMMI

Meiko wilderness area by the big and clear Lake Meiko lies in Kvarnby in northern Kirkkonummi. Meiko is part of the Nature 2000-area which lies in the Kirkkonummi and Siuntio municipalities, and it covers an area of almost 2000 hectares.

ÅMINNEFORS IRONWORKS, RASEBORG

Åminnefors Ironworks is the youngest of the Raseborg ironworks. It was founded in 1877 for the purpose of zinc production by the last fall of the Mustio River before it reaches the Pohja Bay. The works did not, however, succeed.

THE ORTHODOX CHURCH OF HANKO

The beginning of the spa epoch in Hanko in the late 19th century and beginning of the 20th century was dominated by Russian visitors, who greatly enjoyed both the milieu and the climate. The fact that there was not an

THE CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, RASEBORG

Pojo village grew up where the King’s Road between Turku and Viipuri meet the Pojoviken Bay. The oldest building is the Church of St Mary, which was consecrated in 1480 after two decades of  construction work. The vestry is the

BENGTSKÄR, HANKO

On the furthermost rock in the archipelago, 25 kilometres southwest of Hanko, towers a magnificent stone building – the lighthouse of Bengtskär. It is built of granite quarried from the very rock on which it stands to direct the seafarers

TENALA HOMESTEAD MUSEUM, RASEBORG

Tenala homestead museum in the village of Tenala is owned by the Tenala Martha Organization (a Finnish home economics organization). The museum consists of an entire museum courtyard which has been built around a dwelling house dating back to 1850,

KIRKKONUMMI CHURCH, KIRKKONUMMI

When was the construction work actually started on the grey-granite church which now gives its profile to Kirkkonummi centre? Already in the 13th century or as late as in the 15th century? Experts still have varying opinions about the point

ST. CATHARINE’S CHURCH, RASEBORG

Karis parish and Karis Church are mentioned in the documents as early as in the 14th century, earlier than any other parish in Western Uusimaa. The current stone-church of St. Catherine’s with three aisles was consecrated in 1470. Frescos were

FANJUNKARS, SIUNTIO

The national writer of Finland Aleksis Kivi found a permanent home for the years 1864-1871 in the old tenement soldier’s cottage Fanjunkars in Siuntio. It was because of the warrant officer’s daughter Charlotta Lönnqvist’s good care of him and ensured

THE PAAVOLA OAK

In Lohja you will find many nature paths of various length. One of the paths will take you silently across the Helsinki – Turku motorway (yes, silently, because the motorway is going through a tunnel and the trekking path is

THE CHURCH OF SIUNTIO, SIUNTIO

St. Peter appears in three different places in the Siuntio Church. Firstly he is shown crucified on one of the wall paintings, secondly he is painted on the old pulpit donated to the church by Karin Månsdotter, and thirdly he

SVARTÅ CHURCH, RASEBORG

The first church in Svartå was built by the ironworks owner Peter Thorwöste as early as in the beginning of the 17th century. The parish took over the church in 1745, and a new church was completed in 1761, after

GAMMELGÅRDEN, INGÅ

Gammelgården’s homestead museum right next to Ingå village centre with its verdant lawns and red ochre buildings is a peaceful oasis to admire and where you can relax. The approximately 20 buildings have all been transported from various part of

SVARTÅ MANOR, RASEBORG

Svartå Manor, located in Raseborg is one of the most valuable cultural heritage sites in Finland. The first ironworks in the country was founded in Svartå, on the premises of Svartå Manor. The historical Manor is among the most beautiful

HAAPAJÄRVI CHURCH, KIRKKONUMMI

Haapajärvi Church in the northern part of Kirkkonummi was consecrated in 1823, and it is the result of voluntary work and donations from the entire parish. The main entrance stairs are cut in stone and so unique that they are protected

SNAPPERTUNA CHURCH, RASEBORG

The construction of Snappertuna Church was completed in 1689. There is a chandelier hanging in the church as reminiscence of those times. It was a penance gift: it was made by a blacksmith who had stolen timber from the church

RAGVALDS MUSEUM, KIRKKONUMMI

The main building on the Ragvalds farm in Kirkkonummi is as it used to be when the last owner, Mr. Bertil Malmström lived in the house. The current main building was built at the beginning of the 19th century. Bertil

TULLINIEMI, HANKO

The southernmost point of Finland, Tulliniemi, was opened to the public in 2015, after having been closed for decades. A seven kilometre long path leads to the tip of Tulliniemi, Uddskatan, which is a nature reserve. The path is marked

THE TABOR CHURCH, INGÅ

The passengers of the coastal railway often notice the decorative brick cathedral close to the Ingå railway station. The Tabor Church belongs to the United Methodist Church, and it was built in 1925. The grounds was originally donated by goldsmith

KNIPAN, RASEBORG

In Ekenäs no other building has been featured in photographs as much as Knipan. Knipan has served as a restaurant for more than a 100 years. You cannot miss this landmark, built on poles in the sea by the Stallörsparken

ALISGÅRDEN MUSEUM, KIRKKONUMMI

Alisgården homestead museum reminds us of the days when army officers got residences which belonged to the crown, i.e. the state. Originally Alisgården was a sergeant residence from the 18th century. The house itself was built in Evitskog in 1827

THE CASTLE GUARD´S LODGE, RASEBORG

Raseborg castle was built in the 1370s and was an important centre for civilization during the next two centuries. (It also gave its name to the present city of Raseborg.) In the middle of the 16th century, when Helsinki and

THE CANNONS AT TORP, INGÅ

The Cannons at Torp museum is located somewhat outside Ingå village centre, with a shooting-range as neighbour providing appropriate sound-effects. The museum is based on the arms collection of Sven Wadstein. During the years there have been additions to the

VÄSTERBY OUTDOOR CENTRE , RASEBORG

Västerby Outdoor Recreation Centre, close to Ekenäs, comprises of 1.500 hectares of varied grounds which you can freely try out in different combinations. There are several hiking routes and skiing tracks, an orienteering course and a skiing centre. The illuminated

THE CHURCH OF BROMARV, RASEBORG

On a winter night year 1979 the 18th century Bromarf Church was destroyed by fire. The parishioners immediately started to work on a new church which was consecrated already in 1981. The Carl-Johan Slotte architect’s office was responsible for the

FISKARS MUSEUM, RASEBORG

Some ironworks employees started to collect objects and photographs from the Fiskars ironworks as early as in the 1930’s. The museum was inaugurated in connection with the 300-year celebrations of the ironworks in 1949 in the office building of the

VILLA SCHILDT, RASEBORG

Christine and Göran Schildt’s foundation’s and Villa Schildt’s mission is to strengthen the cultural bonds between Mediterranean countries and Finland and also to cherish the heritage of Mr Alvar Aalto. Göran Schildt (1917 – 2009) was one of Finland’s most

FAGERVIK MANOR, INGÅ

When Carl Billsten founded the ironworks in Fagervik in 1646, he chose an ideal spot as regards to communications and water and charcoal supplies. The southernmost stretch of the King’s Road leading from Turku to Viipuri winds through the ironworks

MALMBACKA, RASEBORG

Welcome to Malmbacka traditional cottage village. We are located in Southern Finland in the region of Western Uusimaa, in Snappertuna Village in Raseborg. The King’s Road leads past our village and the Raseborg Castle Ruins are a few kilometres away.

HOMESTEAD MUSEUM, SIUNTIO

The Siuntio homestead museum is situated on the slope of the hill Krejansberget and it occupies premises of an old elementary school. The majority of the collection of almost 4,000 objects is located in the old school house, where e.g.

THE DEGERBY CHURCH, INGÅ

The Church of Degerby was the declaration of independence for Degerby inhabitants. Already in the 18th century the Degerby farmers grew tired of making the long way to the Church of Ingå. They got permission to build a church, which

HANKO MUSEUM, HANKO

The cultural history museum has its exhibition premises in a granite building dating back to 1792; the building is the only remaining building left from the Hanko fortress. The museum is situated in the Eastern Harbour directly behind the row

THE CHAPEL OF TÄKTOM, HANKO

When Lucie Vera Paula Gylphe had died, at the age of only two years, her father Carl V. Gylphe had a cemetery chapel built to commemorate her. The chapel was designed by professor Armas Lindgren and architect Bertel Liljeqvist. It

SJUNDBY MANOR, SIUNTIO

The grey granite castle in Sjundby has kept watch over the gently rolling landscape with its rapid on the river between Tjusträsk and Vikträsk for almost 450 years. But Sjundby is mentioned for the first time already in 1417, at

THE SOVIET MONUMENT, HANKO

In a pine forest by Täktomintie stands an imposing monument carved in granite. Here have 453 Soviet soldiers their grave. Most of them died in the battles of the Continuation War, but there are also some who missed the Soviet

LOHJA MUSEUM, LOHJA

The museum of Lohja was founded in 1911 and is located in the Iso-Pappila park area. The basic exhibition describes life in Lohja from the 1850s until the 1970s. There are also changing theme exhibitions and a collection of old

THE CHURCH OF HANKO, HANKO

The church on Vartiovuori has gone through an extensive transformation since it was consecrated for the first time in November 1892. Originally the church was a neo-Gothic creation in red brick with high-pointed windows, drawn by Jac. Ahrenberg. However, the

BILLNÄS IRONWORKS, RASEBORG

The first attempt to construct an ironworks by the untamed river in the mouth of the Svartå River with a fall of over 6 meters in 1641 did not succeed that well. During the Great Northern War (1700-1721) the works

PIKE’S GUT, HANKO

Passing Hanko Cape was a challenge to seafarers, especially in the olden times. Southeast of the cape is the strait of the Pike’s Gut (in Finnish “Hauensuoli”, in Swedish Gäddtarmen), which is a sheltering natural harbour, where seafarers could wait

KOPPARNÄS OPEN-AIR RECREATION AREA, INGÅ

Kopparnäs was till 1944 the only manor in Degerby, and it was known for its fruit and asparagus cultivation. The Soviet naval base, which was placed in the Porkkala area from 1944 to 1956, meant an end for that era

SNAPPERTUNA FOLK MUSEUM, RASEBORG

There is a winding path called the Love Path (Kärleksstigen) in the forest leading from the Raseborg Castle Ruins towards the Forngården Folk Museum in Snappertuna village. The museum, was opened in 1958 and displays mid-19th century life in the

EKENÄS OLD TOWN, RASEBORG

Ekenäs was  granted town charter by Swedish King Gustavus Vasa in 1546. The king wanted a big town to compete with the German Hansatown Reval (today Tallinn). Ekenäs, however, did not comply with the demands of the king so four

EKENÄS VISITOR CENTRE, RASEBORG

On the way out to the Ekenäs Archipelago National Park, a visit to the Ekenäs Visitor Centre can be very useful. The National Board of Forestry has fit up the Visitor Centre in a 160-year-old salt storehouse which in the

THE TYTYRI MINE MUSEUM, LOHJA

The Tytyri Mine Museum is the most important tourist attraction in Lohja. The museum is located in a working limestone mine, 80 meters underground. There are people working 300-400 meter below the ground, but of course there is no access

THE CHURCH OF LAPPOHJA, HANKO

The church of Lappohja was built as a chapel for the evangelic movement in 1913. As early as the following year it was first used by Russian and then by German troops. When Hanko was leased by the Soviet Union

TRIUMPHAL ARCH IN PIKKALA, SIUNTIO

During the period 1944-1956, the Soviet Union leased a big area in Western Uusimaa for a military base by the Gulf of Finland. There were many blue-coloured triumphal arches built in this area: by the entrances to sports grounds, railway

CHURCH OF ST. LAWRENCE. LOHJA

In Western Uusimaa there are all together seven medieval greystone churches: in Lohja, Kirkkonummi, Siuntio, Ingå and in Raseborg: Karis, Tenala and Pojo. Lojo is the biggest of these churches. The church of St. Lawrence  is located in Lohja centre

EKENÄS CHURCH, RASEBORG

Ekenäs Church is unique in the sense that it is the only church in Finland which was built of grey granite in baroque style. The initiator Gustaf Adolf Leijonhufvud grew to like the baroque style on his voyages in Europe.

KOLSARBY CEMETERY, KIRKKONUMMI

The cemetery in Kolsarby, is the most visible monument of the period 1944-1956, when the Soviet Union leased a large part of Kirkkonummi and surrounding areas as an army base. The cemetery got its current construction in 1958, when most

THE FRONT MUSEUM, HANKO

Closed during 2016 due to renovation. World War II in Finland meant two wars: The Winter War, which lasted from 30th November, 1939 until 13th March, 1940 and the Continuation War, which took place between 25.th June, 1941 and 19th

EKENÄS MUSEUM, RASEBORG

The visitor should definitely reserve enough time to visit the museum in the centre of Ekenäs. There are three exhibitions which are completely different from each other. The original Exhibition Hall was built already in 1963, and it is designed

RILAX MANOR, RASEBORG

Rilax Manor is located in the beautiful seaside village of Bromarf in Raseborg. The manor has century long traditions and has been in the same family’s possession since 1725. The sea battle of Gangut between the Swedish and Russian army

RAMSHOLMEN, RASEBORG

A trip to Ramsholmen in the springtime when wood anemones flower is a tradition both for people living in Ekenäs and for others who are thrilled by this unique experience. The area is an attraction which can be enjoyed throughout

FISKARS VILLAGE, RASEBORG

You would probably associate the name Fiskars with the orange scissors that you might have in your kitchen drawer. The scissors and many other elegant, high quality and useful items have been created in Fiskars Village which is the birth

PAIKKARI CROFT, LOHJA

At Paikkari Croft the Finnish writer Elias Lönnrot (1802-1884) was born and spent his childhood. Lönnrot wrote the Finnish national epos Kalevala. In the main room you can see Lönnrot’s cradle and his kantele (a Finnish instrument). At the croft

THE CHURCH OF INGÅ, INGÅ

The patron saint of Ingå Church, St. Nicholas, is also the patron of seafarers, which seems to be quite natural in a parish which such an extensive archipelago. When the church actually was built is disputed among scholars. Earlier studies

POKROVA, KIRKKONUMMI

The gilded dome of the Pokrova Church shines like a sun over the Jorvas landscape in Kirkkonummi and dispels any doubts about the nature of the building. Pokrova stands for Virgin Mary’s protection. The Dannebrog property got the Pokrova name

THE HOUSE OF THE FOUR WINDS, HANKO

Mr Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim, Marshall and President of Finland also worked as a café keeper. During the period 1927-1933, Mannerheim did not have any official position in Finland. He bought the café located on the “Pine Island” outside Hanko.

THE SPA PARK, HANKO

The Monument of Liberty by the entrance to the Spa Park from the Boulevard commemorates the German landing in 1918 which finished the Red control in Hanko. Tellina, one of the beautiful wooden villas, is the closest neighbour to the

DEGERBY IGOR MUSEUM, INGÅ

Degerby is one of the many active villages in Ingå municipality, but until autumn 1944 Degerby was an independent municipality. The armistice agreement between Finland and the Soviet Union resulted in Porkkala area being leased and becoming a Soviet naval

FARMSTEAD MUSEUM AT FINBYGRÄND, RASEBORG

The Farmstead Museum at Finby gränd is located in the Western Uusimaa countryside, along the Prästkulla road in Tenala, Raseborg. The museum tells about the development of Finnish agriculture in the 20th century. A large collection of tractors can be

MARINE LINES, HANKO

Marine Lines takes you cruising to the most spectacular archipelago with M/S Summer Sea, accommodating 155 passengers. We run regular tours from Hanko to the lighthouse islands of Bengtskär and Russarö (Russarö is a military area, therefore access is permitted

TENALA CHURCH, RASEBORG

There is varying information about when the church in Tenala was built. What is certain is that the current grey granite church was preceded by a wooden church, and that the vestry constitutes the oldest part of the church. It

THE WATERTOWER, HANKO

During World War II, the Soviet Union leased Hanko as a military base between March 1940 and December 1941. One of the last actions the Russians took before leaving Hanko in December 1941 was to blow up the water tower

ANTSKOG IRONWORKS, RASEBORG

The smallest of the ironworks in Raseborg is Antskog, which according to documents was founded approximately 1630 by the river discharging itself to the lake Seljänala. Iron and copper production continued until 1880, but the owner of Fiskars works, John

EKENÄS’ OLD WATERTOWER , RASEBORG

If one wants to have a good general view of Ekenäs with all its parks and the water areas surrounding the town, climbing up the 164 steps to the Old Water Tower is worth the effort. The Old Water Tower

HVITTRÄSK, KIRKKONUMMI

The three architects Herman Gesellius, Armas Lindgren and Eliel Saarinen became world famous almost immediately after graduating from the Technical University since they had planned the Finnish pavilion to the Paris World Exhibition in 1900. Immediately after this they bought

RASEBORG CASTLE RUINS, RASEBORG

The Raseborg Castle Ruins are situated on a rock alongside the Raseborg River. The exact year of construction is unknown, but the castle was probably built in the 14th century to defend the Swedish interests in the area. In that

BILLNÄS TOURISM, RASEBORG

Billnäs Tourism in Raseborg welcomes you to the historical Billnäs village, which dates back to the 17th century, being one of the oldest ironworks in Finland. We have a plant shop, a restaurant, a café, and a handicraft & antiques

GRABBACKA CASTLE RUINS, RASEBORG

King Gustav Vasa is said to have visited Grabbacka Castle when he passed Karis region on his trip to Finland in December 1555. If this is true, he must have been a guest at Erik Axelsson, son-in-law of the district

ANNE INGMAN, GUIDE, RASEBORG

You’ll meet Anne Ingman in many different roles: As professional tour guide she will take you on a tour in Raseborg in Swedish, Finnish or English. Helene Schjerfbeck is one of Finland’s most famous artists. She lived a modest life

EKENÄS NATIONAL PARK, RASEBORG

The Ekenäs Archipelago National Park was founded in 1989, and it comprises 52 squarekilometres. The National Board of Forestry administers the area. The national park stretches from the open sea as far as to the inner archipelago. The park consists