Some ironworks employees started to collect objects and photographs from the Fiskars ironworks as early as in the 1930’s. The museum was inaugurated in connection with the 300-year celebrations of the ironworks in 1949 in the office building of the first mechanical engineering shop in Finland dating back to 1837. The museum has a large collection of photographs with motives relating to Fiskars and surrounding villages.
It is mostly the ironworks inhabitants’ lives and the ironworks milieu which are documented in the rooms with different themes. For example the Workers’ room shows how tight the workers and their family members had to live. The Industry room has a fine collection of industrial products, and many visitors are thrilled to recognize old utility articles.
The museum was expanded in 1983 with the Slaggbyggnaden, where the permanent exhibition shows various living conditions. In summertime there is time travel for children. During the summer, school winter holiday and before Christmas the café is open in the Slaggbyggnaden building.